Saturday, March 24, 2012

Corn Free Baking Powder Recipe

     I am always trying to reduce the amount of corn we ingest as it is in EVERYTHING!  I just realized a few weeks ago that baking powder contains corn as well.  Arg! Corn is one of the top eight food allergens, so  we try to limit our exposure.  Corn seems to find its way in so many recipes and products.  Corn is cheaper than most grains and makes that sweet tasting corn syrup, thus many food manufacturers are using it in their products.  If you want to learn even more about corn, I highly recommend the movie, Food Inc.  It is American made, however very eye opening.
    Okay so now back to the my baking powder situation.  I figured there was a way to make your own baking powder so here is what I found and re-created.

Combine
1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cream of tartar (by product of wine making -found in most grocery stores)
1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch

Keep in a sealed container and substitute 1:1 for regular baking powder


No comments:

Post a Comment