In my opinion, onions should be a super food as they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. This vegetable also has strong antioxidants which help fight off cancer. On one final note, as you may have learned in some my earlier posts; How Healthy Is It? or Pesticides, Produce and Problems, onions are very low in pesticides.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups broth* (I used combination of organic vegetable and home-made chicken broth)
- 4 sliced onions or 4 cups (I used red onions)
- 1/2 cup red wine (use more broth for strict GAPS OR Paleo diet)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 drops liquid stevia
- Daiya cheese (optional)
- In a large pot fry onions and oil for 5-10 minutes until onions are soft.
- Place all remaining ingredients (except cheese) in into the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 50 minutes.
- I added some Daiya cheese to the girls soup bowls and broiled on high for 3-4 minutes.
* Do check your broth ingredients for MSG and its hidden forms