Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Bars (Dairy, Gluten/Grain and Refined Sugar Free)

I have been picking up a lot of pumpkins and squash at my local farmer.  It really is easy to roast your own (see below) and you can freeze what you don't use for your recipe.  These bars turned out really well.  There is lots of flavour, protein and will give you some extra energy.  The make a great snack or breakfast.  We didn't have any left over but I am sure they would keep well covered in the fridge.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil 
  • 1 tablespoon ground chia or flax seeds
  • 1 cup puréed pumpkin (I use my own roasted pumpkin to avoid the BPA found in most cans)*
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup water (optional, may need if you used roasted pumpkin as the batter may be thicker)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish.
  2. Purée all ingredients together except the raisins if you wish to leave them whole.  I added the raisins into the blender and puréed them in order to create tiny pieces.
  3. Bake 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.




* to roast a pumpkin, place it whole on a baking dish, poke some holes with a knife and roast in a preheated oven of 400 F for 1 hour.


8 comments:

  1. These look amazing. So happy I found you on pinterest!How/ how long do you roast the fresh pumpkin? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I roast it for 1 hour at 400 F.
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Can you replace the grapeseed oil with coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes you definitely can use grapeseed oil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely divine! I have a sweet tooth and these are perfect. I've nearly demolished it all & only made it yesterday. Super easy to make as well. Many thanks for sharing this and I look forward to trying your other recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea if I could use chickpea flour instead of coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use chickpea flour but you will need to use more of it as coconut flour is quite dense and a little goes a long way. You will have to play around with the amount of chickpea flour. Let me know if it works out.

      Delete
  7. I love this with the pumpkin but I made this with persimmon over the weekend. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete