Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Hazelnut Chocolate Spread "Nutella" (Dairy, Gluten/Grain and Refined Sugar Free)


Apparently Nutella has been in some "hot water" for claiming to be healthy.  I am pretty sure just reading the ingredients could tell most people that this is not considered healthy.  Its first ingredient is sugar and not hazelnuts.  Hmm
Anyway I decided to make my own as I do love this treat but have refused to buy it.  I does require some time but really is worth it.  Yum.  So far I haven't used it for anything but eating by the spoonful and making brownies. Not sure if I will any left for anything else.


Ingredients
  • 2 cups hazelnuts
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/3 cup honey (or other natural sweeteners)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons non dairy milk -I used coconut milk (may need more depending on desired consistency)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Roast hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes watching to make sure they don't burn.
 3. Place hazelnuts in a tea towel and rub together trying to remove some of their bitter coating. (I didn't        remove very much and it still tasted great.)
4. Place hazelnuts and remaining ingredients in a blender and grind until smooth.  This may take a long time depending on your blender.  It took mine 13-15 minutes. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment