Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Apple Porridge for the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker (Dairy, Grain/Gluten/Oat and Refined Sugar Free)

I always loved porridge oatmeal as a child.  I love how it can be so versitile and hearty.  I was hoping to make another style but without the oats.  This was a great alternative and can easily be adapted to include other fruits and nuts.  You could make it on the stove as well with perhaps less liquid.  It is also very delicious as a cold dish.

Ingredients
  • 4 sliced apples (I used granny smith apples and didn't peel them)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk or non dairy milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons honey or other natural sweeteners
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup quinoa (soaked and rinsed for 2 minutes)
  • 1/3 cup coconut (chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
  1. Place all ingredients into your crock pot or slow cooker and set for 4-6 hours.  I have a "keep it warm" option on my crock pot so I set it for 6 hours when I went to bed and it was cooked and warm in the morning.   


No comments:

Post a Comment