Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fudgy Brownies (Dairy, Egg, Gluten/Grain, and Refined Sugar Free with a Nut Free Option)

We were going to a friend's house the other night and I offered to bring something along.  We decided upon a dessert, without wheat, dairy and eggs as one of their girls is intolerant to all three.   Since I have a lot of recipes with eggs, I decided this would be an excuse to make something new.  I realized I didn't have a good standard brownie recipe, so after two different flops, this is what came about and I am so pleased.  I have already made my second batch.
Do note: chickpea flour does not make a great tasting batter so don't be alarmed the batter does not resemble the end product.
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (grape seed oil may work)
  • 3/4 cup honey or other natural sweeteners
  • 5-7 drops liquid stevia
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1 mashed banana (or add another 1/4 cup applesauce or 1/4 cup oil)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or gluten free vanilla
  • 3/4 cup cocoa (I use a dark cocoa)
  • 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup well cooked quinoa (I used white quinoa)
  • 1/3 cup chickpea flour
  • 2 tablespoons of non dairy milk (I used unsweetened hemp milk)
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an 8x8 baking dish.
  2. Combine all ingredients into a blender and purée until very smooth.  Maybe sure your quinoa is no longer apparent.
  3.  Pour into prepared dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.  They may seem a little bit spongy right in the middle, as in making a small dent when gently pushed with a finger but trust me they will turn out when cooled.
*batter will have a strange taste due to the chickpea flour so don't be alarmed when you don't feel like licking the spoon

My oldest loved them so much she wanted her picture taken with them :)



5 comments:

  1. Can i use something else besides for chickpea flour? i dont have any...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were soooooo good! All the supposed 'leftovers' were gone by the end of that night! So much for sending one in Dylan's school lunch on Monday.....woops. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I enjoyed them, but the kids didn't like them. I would need to add more sweetener and less cocoa powder, I think. So next time, I'm going to replace a 1/4 cup of cocoa with Natvia(powdered stevia) and I think that would work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kiara, if your kids are used to something sweeter you may need to add more to the recipe. If you are adding a powdered sweetener it shouldn't off set the batter. I have been cutting out sweetener for years so we have gotten used to it and sometimes worry that I need to make that statement in the recipe that you may need to adjust it to taste.

      Delete
  4. Can I use something different besides quinoa? Such as more chickpea flour?

    ReplyDelete