Friday, April 05, 2013

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Fennel (Dairy and Gluten Free)

I never liked brussel sprouts as a child.  I always found them to be too bitter.   Once I got married I realized Dan didn't like them either so we just never made them.  Finally, I thought we should be "mature" about our tastes and try them again.  Brussel sprouts are one of those cancer fighting cruciferous vegetables, so I felt we should be eating them.  Again we both agreed we didn't like them.  I have since realized that boiling them is not the only way to cook these mini cabbages.  
Since then, I have heard that roasting them is the way to go.  Okay so here we go, I decided I would try them one more time.   Wow, WAY BETTER, in our opinion anyway.  I highly suggest you give them a try.  I roasted mine with some sweet potatoes and mushrooms you could use any of your favourite roasting vegetables.

Ingredients

  • brussel sprouts 
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • fennel seeds
  • Sea salt
  • black pepper
  • Additional roasting vegetables (I used sweet potatoes and mushrooms)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Prepare vegetables and coat with oil and spices.
  3. Roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring twice in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment