Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Home-made Insect Repellent

It is mosquito season and my youngest has had some trouble with these pesky little bugs.  She has developed some nice bites and is continually complaining about the itch.  I am always hesitant to use big spray but figured I would give a home-made version a try.
When using essential oils you must use caution, as they can be toxic if ingested or used in large quantities. Some essential oils are safer than others and can be a great alternative to unnatural chemicals or fragrances. When using essential oils it is also best to keep them in an opaque bottle to enhance their stability.  I order my essential oils online through New Directions Aromatics.  They have great and quick service.

We tried this bug spray at the cottage and while camping.  I actually noticed the mosquitoes fly up to me and then fly away.  Not only does it works well, it smells great too!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup vodka, olive oil, grapeseed oil or witch hazel (if allergic to gluten do not use vodka)
  • 15 drops of geranium essential oil
  • 15 drops eucalyptus oil

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients and shake to fully mix.
  2. Store in an opaque bottle.  
  3. Shake before using.



2 comments:

  1. hey thanks for sharing.. have been searching for this since a long time for my son... how much of olive oil , grapeseed oil n witch hazel do we add?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, you would add 1 cup of the oil/witch hazel

      Delete