Thursday, October 24, 2013

Egg Free Lemon Macaroons (Dairy, Gluten/Grain, Egg and Refined Sugar Free)

I know again...another recipe with coconut.  Honestly, I just love coconut's flavour and its health benefits simply an added bonus.  You can't go wrong with a food that helps balance your digestive tract and boosts your immune system.  Did you know coconut can fight against many illnesses such as giardia, urinary tract infections, lice and other parasites?  Coconut oil is also medium chain fat so instead of storing up as fat in the body it creates energy instead.  So all this being said, I will keep making coconut recipes.  This one was a real hit with the girls and I am happy it is school safe as well.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups coconut
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 zested lemon
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup if vegan
  • 1/2 teapoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon water

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Combine all ingredients, stirring well to ensure they are fully blended.
  3. Roll (squeeze) into balls and place onto cookie sheet. (You may want to wet your hands to keep them sticking together well.)
  4. Bake for 11-12 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. I just made these they are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on a gluten free sugar free diet right now and these will help so much for those times when you just need something sweet. Instead of using psyllium husk I used Xanthan gum worked fine! soooo good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and happy to hear they worked out with xanthan gum as well.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Just made these & they are sooooooo delicious. I added some chia & hemp seeds to mine & couldn't really taste them which was cool. I do have a question though... what do you think the shelf life for these would be un-refridgerated. I am going on a camping trip & want to bring some "school safe" gluten/refined sugar/dairy free treats for the group & I to much on... think these would last a while? Any ideas on how to improve shelf life a bit without damaging the healthfulness? Hope these aren't bothersome questions & thank you for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kaleigh, great question however I am not sure how long they would last. There is not dairy in them I would figure at least at week as long as they don't get heated too much. I wouldn't know how to make them last longer really, not much lasts around here, sorry.

    ReplyDelete