Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke or Sunchoke (Dairy, Gluten and Grain Free)

On the weekend we went to check out the Kingston Farmer's Market.  I was very happy to see that there are several organic farmers participating.  I was even more pleased to see that one of them was selling Jerusalem Artichokes.  I LOVE these and hadn't had any in about a year.
The Jerusalem Artichoke, also known as Sunchoke is neither from Jerusalem or an artichoke.  Although they share a similar flavour to an artichoke, they are actually related to a sunflower.  Nonetheless, this brown, knobby root is super delicious.  It is an excellent source of potassium and magnesium and works as a prebiotic to help balance your gut system.  There are many ways to eat the sunchoke however, my preference is just to roast them.


Ingredients
  • sunchokes
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Cut sunchokes into bite size pieces
  3. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper
  4. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
  5. Serve.




1 comment:

  1. I've got some sunchokes calling my name in the fridge. I'm going to roast without any oil and try some organic garlic salt seasoning that I have been putting on EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete