Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Protein Bars (Dairy, Egg, Gluten and Refined Sugar Free)

My girls don't love protein powder in their shakes so I figured I would try other ways to use it. These bars were a hit as a snack or breakfast food.  They have lots of protein for energy and will keep you full.  I am adding these to my list of good camping foods for the summer.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or other nut/seed butter
  • 1/3 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup ground pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup honey or apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1/3-1/2 cup protein powder or this protein powder


Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.
  2. Place in an 8x8 or 8x6 pan and pat down.
  3. Place in refrigerator to harden for at least 1 hour.



3 comments:

  1. I love that this recipe excludes gluten, dairy, eggs, and sugar! I'd also like to skip the protein powder. Any thoughts on how they'd turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kdbm,
    I think they would turn out just fine in terms of consistency. If you feel the batter/dough is a bit too runny just add a 1/4 cup of the ground nuts. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with my kids. I was not able to figure out what to do. Your post has amazing idea. I guess this will be hit for my kids too. Thank you so much I will definitely try this at home.
    Keep sharing solutions to this kinda problems.

    ReplyDelete