Saturday, August 09, 2014

Millet Bars (Dairy, Gluten and Refined Sugar Free)

I really think variety is important in our diet.  We eat a variety of fruits and vegetables but I also like eating a variety of grains.  I saw these Millet Puffs in the store the other day and was reminded of bars I used to make.  In the past I used nut butter but I wanted these to be safe for school so I used coconut oil instead.  Very tasty!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 cups puffed millet
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1/4 c ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
  1. Grease an 8 x 8 dish.
  2. In small pot bring honey and coconut oil to a boil.  Let boil for 5-7 minutes then remove from heat. 
  3. In a large bowl combine puffed millet, coconut, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds.
  4. Pour coconut oil/honey sauce over millet mixture and stir to fully combine.
  5. Add chocolate chips and stir them into the millet mixture. (If your coconut oil is too warm, the chocolate chips will melt in)
  6. Flatten into prepared dish.
  7. Cover and let harden in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
  8. Cut into bars and serve.
  9. Store in sealed container in the fridge.







No comments:

Post a Comment