Monday, December 14, 2015

Hemp Heart Energy Cookies (Egg, Dairy, Gluten/Grain Free with Refined Sugar Free Option)

I have two more months to go in this pregnancy and I am starting to feel tired and more hungry.  I am getting a little low in my iron which is not helping.  I have been eating more hemp hearts as they are an excellent source of iron as well as protein, omega fatty acids and fiber.  I have been adding them to my smoothies, cereal and salads as well.  I love these cookies as they give me the energy and nutrients I need for a snack or even breakfast.

Ingredients (makes 15-18)

  • 1 tablespoon ground chia or ground flax seeds 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup nut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds ground to a powder
  • 1/3 cup hemp hearts
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional -omit for refined sugar free option)
  • pinch sea salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 
  2. Add ground chia/flax seeds to water and set aside.
  3. In a mixing bowl combine nut butter, honey, coconut, ground pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, and sea salt.
  4. Add flax seeds and water to bowl.
  5. Stir to fully combine.
  6. Roll dough into 1 inch balls.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
  8. Cool on a wire rack.
  9. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment