This year I decided to take a stab at apple butter and am glad I did. It was rather easy and so tasty. I used the crock pot and set it to a high heat because I am impatient like that, but you can definitely use a longer slower heat and relieve yourself of continually checking so it doesn't dry out or burn. I also left the skins on the apples as it adds nutrients and I can also be lazy ;)
- 5 pounds sliced and cored apples
- 1/2 cup organic apple juice (you could use water or nothing if it isn't sticking to your pot)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid stevia (or to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (to help preserve)
- Combine all ingredients except lemon juice and placed in crock pot.
- Set to low for 8-10 hours of high for 4 hours. If setting on high to stir frequently to ensure it isn't sticking to your pot.
- Once all apples are soft and mushy. Puree until smooth.
- Set on a low heat for 2 hours with the lid off. This will allow the butter to thicken, basically change from apple sauce to apple butter. Stir in lemon juice.
- Cool and set into jars.
- Store in fridge for 1-2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Ways to Use Apple Butter: