Saturday, February 11, 2012

No Eggs, No Problem (Egg Replacers)

You may have noticed that I have used egg replacers in my some of recipes.  Both my girls and I, have a slight intolerance to either the white or the yolk of the egg.  I generally like to use either chia or flax seeds to replace the eggs, however there are a few other options as well.  

Chia Egg
3/4 tablespoons ground chia seeds + 1/4 cup water = 1 egg (stir until thick or let sit 5 minutes the stir well)

Flax Egg*
3/4 tablespoon ground flax meal + 3 tablespoons water = 1 egg (stir until thick or let sit 5 minutes)

Psyllium Husk
1 tablespoon psyllium husk + 2 tablespoons water = 1 egg (stir and let set for 2-3 minutes)

Homemade Egg Replacer  -Ener-G (Bulk Recipe)

  • 2 cups tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
  • 1/3 cup gluten free baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
Mix 1/2 tablespoon egg replacer with 2 tablespoons water


Other Egg Replacer Options
  • 2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon oil + 2 tablespoons baking powder = 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons water + 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/4 cup of tofu = 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce = 1 egg
  • 1/2 mashed banana = 1 egg (will make recipe taste like banana)




* If you are wanting to replace a lot of eggs (3 or more eggs) I would not suggest using only flax seeds.  Flax  seeds are high in phytoestrogen.  Phytoestrogens are a group of chemicals found in plants, that act like estrogen.  These are safe in moderation, however when in excess can affect your reproductive organs.  If using flax seeds make sure you aren't using them in large amounts.  Personally, I stick to no more than 2-3 tablespoons in a recipe.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know, my son has a animal protein intolerance and this replacemnet idea is perfect for me, I love baking and I used to include eggs in all my recipes, Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF using Psyllium Husk POWDER (Bob's Red Mill recipe) it's 1/2 tsp Psyllium POWDER to 1/4 Cup Water.
    (I tried the 1 Tbs Psyllium plus 2 Tsb water and got a very dry paste).

    ReplyDelete