We love pancakes in this house. They are not just a weekend thing over here but we generally have them one other time during the week as well. I like to make a variety of flavours using whatever is around; pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, and banana pancakes. Recently we have added lemon poppy seed to the rotation. I love the fresh flavour of the lemon in these pancakes, it makes a great start to the day.
Ingredients (makes 8-10 pancakes)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest or 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk milk*
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 beaten eggs or 2 chia/flax egg replacer
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup or other natural sweeteners (optional)
- for cooking ( I used coconut or grapeseed oil)
- In a medium size bowl, combine lemon zest, juice and milk and set aside.
- In another medium size bowl combine buckwheat flour, starch, sorghum flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Add eggs and maple syrup as well as lemon milk to the flour.
- Stir to fully combine.
- Heat skillet with oil and pour desired size of pancake.